This coming Tuesday, our ESL/Family Literacy programs will be heading out to the Planetarium for a day of excitement to learn about the planets and our solar system! We are so thrilled to have the opportunity to enjoy the day with our school-age children who have the day off from school.
Here on the Tolton Center blog, we talk quite a bit about all the field trips we take throughout the year. Just in the past four months alone, we have gone to:
- the Museum of Science and Industry
- the Children’s Museum at Navy Pier
- Shedd Aquarium, Brookfield Zoo
- a UIC basketball game
- the Book-a-mania event at the Harold Washington Library
- the Christmas trees downtown at Macy’s and at Daley Plaza
- and, this coming week, the Planetarium.
During class yesterday, students listed out reasons why they continue to attend field trip after field trip. They came up with some beautiful reasons and I wanted to share them with all who might wonder why they continuously see Tolton Center all over the city.These are the reasons we came up with:
- To spend time together as a family
- To learn together
- To practice our English
- To expose our children to experiences and interests
- To go new places
- and to play and have fun!
For Tolton Center staff, the most excitement comes in the weeks and months after a trip. We love hearing about families independently returning to places we have taken field trips to!
We’ll be sure to share photos from the Planetarium on our facebook page. Make sure you’ve liked us on Facebook to receive all our updates.